1933 VALE SPECIAL

Black with Red trim
1 of just 52 produced
Total nut & bolt restoration
Multi concours winner

£34,995 SOLD

1933 VALE SPECIAL

The Vale Motor Company was established in 1931 by Pownoll Pellew (later 9th Viscount Exmouth) as a ‘gentleman’s hobby’ in a rented workshop behind “The Warrington” pub in Maida Vale. It was initially funded by Pellew (helped by his mother and his actress girlfriend Kay Walsh) and his two business partners Allan Gaspar (with help from his bank manager father), and Robert Owen Wilcoxon (thanks to early film proceeds of his film actor brother Henry Wilcoxon).  It was Henry who designed the striking Vale Motor Co. badge. E.A. (Ted) Halford was hired as the senior mechanic (Years later, Ted joined another company, becoming the 'H' in H.R.G,), The cars were handmade and based on Triumph Motor Company components, Production ran from 1932 to 1935, The cars used the 832 cc side-valve engine with a 4-speed manual gearbox from the Triumph Super 7 fitted to a chassis bought in from Rubery Owen, semi-elliptic leaf springs all round, and the hydraulic Lockheed brakes and axles from the Triumph, The 2 seater open bodywork was made of a light steel framework clad with heavy gauge aluminium paneling with cutaway doors, A vertically placed 11 gallon fuel tank which is housed in the tail section with the spare wheel neatly recessed at the rear, The front cycle wings turn with the wheel mirroring the contemporary Aston martin International, Other interesting features to this unique car were a quick release radiator and petrol filler caps, fold flat windscreen and a Brooklands steering wheel. Early examples owere priced at £197, A well known fact that racing improves the brand and promotes the product, the Vale Company entered factory cars for various Brooklands Time Trials during 1933 lapping consistently at over 70 mph. One owner a Mr Cerdric Morgan even entered his example (AGX 173) in the 1934 Monte Carlo Rally

 

Black with Red trim

1 of just 52 Vale Specials produced by the Vale Motor Co of Maida Vale And now believed to be just 1 of just 5 running examples in existence !

Chassis 308 (making this the 8th Vale Specials produced) was registered on 17th June 1933 and issued with the London registration number ALC 158. In 1958 an 18 year old East Ham resident John Strelitz purchased ALC 158 for the sum of £65 from his uncle and the Vale was used as Johns daily driver over the next 5 years. With the loss of his garage the Vale was regretfully sold to a Mr Fawcett of Rugby for the sum of £150. In late 1963 Mr Cedric Morgan (Owner of the Monte Carlo Rally, Lands End Trial entrant Vale Special AGX 173) purchased ALC 158. With the passing of  Mr Morgan in 1976 the Vale passed to his Son Nigel who enjoyed ownership until selling to Vale expert David Cox in 1997. At a chance meeting at Olympia in 1997 Mr Strelitz began a conversation with Mr Cox who informed John that he had just purchased ALC 158 from Mr Fawcett, John was invited to the see the car and ended up buying it back ! It was fate and once again two old friends were reunited ! John duly undertook a detailed and painstaking restoration, Even the Art-Deco Brooklands badge was specially made for John by Julie Beinecke. ALC 158 has remained in the fastidious care of Mr Strelitz for the past 22 years and is a multi show winner, Winning Best In show at Alexandra Palace London Classic Car Show

ALC 158 is complete with a wonderful detailed provenance including lovely period photographs, period letters of correspondence from Motor Sport Magazine, Coventry Climax Engines Ltd, Derrington Ltd, Correspondence from past owners including marque expert Dave Cox and the Triumph owners Club confirming the cars history. ALC 158 has also been featured in many various newspaper and magazine articles including Classic Cars & Classic & Sportscar Magazine and is featured in David Cox’s definitive Vale book “Ave Atque Vale”

An exceptionally rare motorcar with a wonderful provenance and in exceptional condition – A very rare opportunity indeed

 

£SOLD

  Back to the Showroom